How to Use OpenAI's GPT-3 to Generate Ideas for Content

I write a lot as a content marketer and journalist. Client job, blog, newsletter, Medium—it's a lot to juggle, and I rely on a project management application to keep track of everything.

My experience with content has shown me that creative people and teams frequently keep a running list of ideas. Having a storehouse of future subjects, whether it's a never-ending Google Doc or a more formal schedule, answers the question, "What do I write about next?"

When I initially heard about Zapier's interface with OpenAI's GPT-3 (the developers of ChatGPT), I instantly saw the application: start with my subject, utilize GPT-3 to expand on content ideas, and record the results in my project management platform. As a consequence, I was able to streamline the phases of my writing routine.



How does GPT-3 help you write faster?

My writing approach is quite standard: brainstorming, some light Google, outline, and draught. Nevertheless, even when I have a theme in mind, I don't always know which way to go. This is where OpenAI's GPT-3 comes in.

When given a cue, GPT-3 (Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3) is a sophisticated language-processing artificial intelligence technology that can create human-like prose. It may be found in well-known applications such as Chat-GPT, Jasper.ai, Copy.ai, and Frase. The applications for authors are numerous, but for long-form writers like me, GPT-3 can perform the following:

  • Determine subtopics that are linked to a core theme.

  • Create an introduction or a conclusion.

  • Create a counterargument for a given topic.

Every writer must determine how AI can assist them depending on their unique writing style and what they aim to gain. It's been quite helpful in creating subtopic ideas for me. I would have done this job otherwise, utilizing Google and reading relevant publications. AI writing tools just accelerate the process by providing the knowledge back to me instead of my going out to get it.

How to Use GPT-3 in Your Project Management Tool

I've tried several AI authoring tools, but the workflow has always been a stumbling block for me. Whether it's client work or my personal material, I save all of my content ideas in Trello. To keep myself organized, I include due dates, labels, and notes.

I'll have to quit Trello and re-enter some of my notes (like the topic) into an AI writing tool. I've tried adding the Link from the writing tool's results page back to Trello, but it's not always feasible, and the process feels disconnected.

What's the issue with tools like Jasper, Copy, and others? They are incompatible with your project management software. You begin with an idea you intend to write about, then leave your PM tool, utilize the GPT-3 prompts in another product, then return to your original tool with the results before beginning to draught.


That's why I was overjoyed when I found I could utilize a prompt to bring identical findings from Jasper, Copy, or another tool back into my project management application via automation.


While I use Trello, this technique would be applicable to a variety of project management applications such as Asana, Monday.com, or ClickUp. You're ready to go as long as you can construct some sort of "flag" to utilize with Zapier.

If you want to start with a template, click the Zap template below to be directed to the Zapier editor. If you don't already have a Zapier account, you'll need to establish one. Finally, to set up your Zap, follow the instructions below.

Step 1: Link your GPT-3 account to Zapier.

I already have an OpenAI account (from playing with DALL-E 2), but it's free to create one.


1. Generate an API key within OpenAI. In the top left corner, click on your profile, then select See API keys.



2. On the API keys page, click the + Generate new secret key button. Make a copy of the text from your created API key.



3. In Zapier, go to My Apps and then + Add Connection.



4. Look for OpenAI.


5. Copy and paste your OpenAI API Key.



Step 2: Design a flag for usage with Zapier.

GPT-3 is not required for every topic. Sometimes my customer provides me with a specific outline, and other times I'm writing about an event I experienced. I needed a method to "inform" Zapier that I intended to utilize GPT-3 for a certain Trello idea.


This will appear to vary based on your project management application, but I choose to utilize the Label function in Trello. This might be a distinct list or a flag in another tool, but there must be some kind of signal for Zapier.


I added a new label to Trello called "OpenAI." I add that label on a card whenever I wish to call GPT-3 using Zapier.



Step 3: Configure your Zapier trigger

A Zap always begins with a trigger, which is the event that initiates your Zapier workflow.


To set up the trigger step, do the following:


1. Choose Trello as the trigger app.


2. For the trigger event, choose New Label Added on Card.



3. Choose your Trello board, where you'll organize your content ideas, and the label you wish to use.


I chose my content ideas Trello board and my OpenAI label for the label that will activate my Zap while configuring my trigger step.


When you test your trigger step, you should get results that contain a specific Trello card with your chosen label. In my case, I can see my previously labeled Ways to share material card.

Step 4: Include your OpenAI action for content generation.

My GPT-3 prompt had to be a blend of static text (the same every time the Zap ran) and the card's name in Trello. I wanted five subject ideas and five subtopic ideas for each topic. I knew these would keep my mind racing as I planned a fresh piece.


If I were using an external AI authoring tool, I would have to open it and input the prompt: What are five subject suggestions for content distribution? What are the five subtopic ideas? GPT-3's output would be rendered in that tool.


I utilize a similar prompt in my Zap, but with information from my Trello card.

To initiate the action step:


  1. Choose OpenAI as your action app.


  1. For the action event, choose to Send Prompt.


  1. Fill in the Prompt area with your repeated prompt.


In my case, I included "What are five topic suggestions for an article concerning Trello card names? What are the five connected subtopics?" in the Prompt field. To add the Trello card name to the Prompt field, click within the field and choose the Trello card name from the dropdown menu.

This will vary depending on your project management application, but you should choose whatever field contains the wording you wish to include in your prompt.



You may also make your results shorter. If you know you don't want more than 500 characters, for example, you may specify that restriction in Zapier when you create your action step.



On a side note, after utilizing the OpenAI integration with Zapier, I've grown better at writing more descriptive subject descriptions in my Trello Card Name box. Before, I'd merely insert a few phrases ("means to disseminate material") to refresh my recollection of the concept. To obtain better answers from the GPT-3 query, I may include something like "what are innovative ways to share content?" now.

Step 5: Upload the content ideas to your project management software.

You'll want the GPT-3 results returned to your project management platform once they've been created by Zapier. After all, the objective is to never leave the tool. You'll need to add an extra action step to your Zap to do this.


I wanted the findings to be put in Trello as a Comment. Trello also offers a Description section for cards, but I use it for something else. Determine the optimal location for your GPT-3 findings if you're using another project management application.


To activate this additional action step, do the following:


1. Choose Trello as your action app.


2. For the action event, choose to Create Comment.



3. Choose the Card ID to associate the comment with the proper card. On the Card box, choose the Custom tab and then search for ID. Trello's Card ID field should be selected.



4. Insert your GPT-3 findings into the Comment Text area by clicking on it and choosing Choices Text from the data dropdown.



That's it – you've finished configuring the Zap!


This entire procedure takes only a few seconds in Trello. I put the OpenAI label on my card, and the GPT-3 results have been returned as a remark by the time I finished my coffee. The "research" part, which I used to undertake in Google or another AI writing tool, now starts in Trello.

GPT-3 is a useful resource.

The usage of AI for creatives has long been a topic of contention. As a writer and journalist who values quality, I shiver at the prospect of full pieces being produced by robots—even though I am aware of tools that promise to be capable of doing so.


Yet there's no disputing that GPT-3 accelerates my writing process while I'm outlining ideas. Sometimes I fully disagree with the GPT-3 results. Yet I still have to consider why I disagree, which generates new thoughts. I then take the concepts and use them as the foundation for further study and my own unique contributions to the issue. GPT-3 is a starting point, not the end outcome.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog